Racist Motherfucker

I'm at work,
Blonde Haired,
Blue Eyed Kid,
Comes in,
My age,
"I'd like the five dollar footlong buffalo chicken,"
Already expecting something I cannot give him,
"Can't do that, the owner said we can't,"
"Oh, he must be a jew,"
He chuckles to himself after it slides out of his mouth like its truth,
My world shudders,
Fists clench,
Smile, collapses,
I spent the rest of my time with him shocked,
Grasping for a retort,
Trying not to throttle him with my fists and some knowledge,
I wish I had said something because I am still shaking,
From the fear of how easy the words passed through him,
I am angry I stayed quiet,
But my glares at him gave him an idea of it,
I should have spiked his sandwich into the ground,
Should have refused to serve a racist,
He took up two tables,
One for him,
One for his sweatshirt,
I almost said
"No wonder the Jews seem stingy when you take two of everything,"
I am mad at myself for not letting it off the chain at him,
I want to strap a time machine and a yellow badge to him,
I wanted to show him the shoes in the museum in DC,
To teach him,
His open hatred was humbling for a moment,
Then my heritage kicked in,
He's lucky he left while the guilt was in place for my ancestors' mistake,
The genetics kicked in after and I wanted  to be like my relatives and rebel from him,
We started the Kreisau Circle resistance group,
Helmuth James Graf von Moltke stood against men like you,
"We are to be hanged for thinking together,"
He wrote to his wife before he died defying assholes like you,
You see we have been at this a long time,
And you, motherfucker, started some gears in me today that I didn't know about,
You better not come in my store again because I might just have to quit my job,
So that I can teach you,
Physically and then mentally.

Comments

  1. This is super badass. Usually people writing about anti-racism don't include analysis of their own racial identity like that. White people have stuff to say about race issues, too, and there is historic evidence of some (tragically, not the plurality required) white people being against racism, and you managed to touch on all of that. Rad stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lonely Hearts

Where my Brain Goes at the End of the Day

Fuck You Lucy