Never hand your dreams to your girlfriend

I once loved a girl the same way I still love the rain,
Because it sounds like nature is talking to you,
This girl somehow convinced me that my dreams were something I should abandon,
For money, for a more realistic success,
This girl got me away from the only thing I have ever been good at, words,

She obviously never paid attention to me before her, or during her,
Because if she had, she would know,
That words are the only thing I've got,
Talking to people, I do, Well,
Writing, I love, whether or not I do it as fantastic as I one day will,
Writing is the greatest lover, she lets you be exactly who you are,

I convinced myself that this girl could be my world,
But she wasn't ready for that,
Never would be,
So while she runs full steam at her brick wall of mediocrity,

I am running back to the rain, and the words,
Because they are the only things that allow me to listen to myself,
I will never let another woman own me the way she did,
I can still love someone and share my rain with them

Love does funny things to you,
People can make you listen to them when they have their hands in your heart,
Even when the rest of your body screams and tries to drag you to the door to leave,

Now I am back on the long journey of finding myself,
It looks a lot like the piles of beer cans that used to inhabit my life along with my father,
The trick is, those piles and my father were easy to walk through,
All I've got now are the words and the rain,
They'll do me right,
And maybe I can find someone who wants to shout their life at the storm with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lonely Hearts

Where my Brain Goes at the End of the Day

Fuck You Lucy