Where did we get this way?

Stop looking,
You won't find me there anymore,
I gave up on that,
Giving up on the past takes a lot longer than you'd expect,

Now I'm trying to drink it all in,
To fill up the hole that has been there since I noticed it,
Drink it all up,
Cough back out the fire and lightning that won't settle,
Keep your head on as straight as it will go,
Keep trying,
Trying to live the way the stream is pushing,
But I still don't flow right,
There's still no slow night,

There's still a twist in my fins,
Still a popping sound where there should be pumping,
Things are loose in there,
Awkward like a thrift store teapot,

If you're going to reach in,
The way you are,
Be careful,
Because I still haven't figured out the directions,
And I wouldn't want you to lose anything you cared for,

Feel free to try something out,
But be careful,

I don't want to cut you with the things I've kept in there,
I've done my best to let them go,
But I need someone to open the cage from the outside,
Let the stampede go and watch the dust settle,

If you like, we can work with whatever is left from each of us,
We'll find a way to make music with nothing,

Again,

I've been doing it my whole life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lonely Hearts

Where my Brain Goes at the End of the Day

Fuck You Lucy