The glasses don't need to be tinted

It's been more than a few years since it all fell apart,
A few less since it finally lost integrity,
Disintegrated into shouting,
And things we probably meant more than we ever should have,
I should have let go before that.

I still can't let go of the armor I made after that,
I took the monsters that were waiting outside my confidence,
And I let them in,
I let them in and I made things out of them,
Things that made me feel comfortable when I was weak,

Now, I'm strong again,
And they're choking me,
Keeping me from enjoying myself,
Helping me to ruin very good things.

So here I stand again, with the armor that is now too small for me,
It keeps me from growing,
I want to blame all those years ago,
The things we said and meant,
Even the things we didn't mean,
But there's only me,
I haven't cleaned up the mess I built inside of me,

The lies you told me,
Whatever they were,
Weren't as big as the lies I told myself,

I want out of this,
That's what I should have said a long time ago,
I'm getting out of it,
That's what I need to say now,

I'm tired of being chased around by our ghost,
Especially in a new house,
Especially when I've come so far since,

I finally can look at your Facebook without added emotion.
I think that means I'm done with it.

Now all I have to do is learn to quit,
Quit looking at the other mistakes I've made,
Let them go, or work it out,

My glasses are as old as those feelings,
Maybe when I replace them,
I'll get a new outlook on it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lonely Hearts

Where my Brain Goes at the End of the Day

Fuck You Lucy