That toilet is gone but on my block there's something else you might be interested in.

How do I explain it properly?

I keep trying to figure that out,

Even after years,
After fights over nothing and everything,
After a relationship cut short,
For all the right reasons in that time,
After one of the rockiest friendships I've ever had,

You are still electric,
I can't breathe properly with you,
Just like I can't breathe right around Styrofoam,
Constantly trying to catch it,
My breath,

I don't want to be that guy,
The friend who's hung up on you,
So I do my best not to be,
I still try to be a good friend,
As hard as I can,
But then you hug me,
Or touch me on accident,
Or I give you a backrub,
Or you fall asleep on me at a bus stop,
It's a constant up and down,
My heart runs marathons,
Up and down hill,
I want it to be normal for the sake of simplicity,

I want to not have to wonder why that's there,
It's funny because I keep coming back to it,
And you have varying levels of interest,
I feel like I've worn that interest out,
That I'm somehow no longer fun,
Or interesting,

I want you to know,
There's a lot of potential energy here,
I want to solve our equation,
To find out if it equals radioactive decay,
Or something better,

You told me you needed to stay busy,
Because you were lonely,
I wanted to be next to you,
To give you the best hug I can give,
Because I know that one,
Lonely,

Your smile makes me feel stupid,
You're not afraid of me,
You're better than me,
At a lot of things,
Like making me feel better,

You don't know how amazing you are,
I wish I could show you,
Because you make it look simple,

I know you shake and sputter,
Just like I do,
And I want you to know,
You don't have to do that alone,

So I sit here on the side of the road,
With a sign that says,
"Free Human,"
Like discarded furniture,
Or plumbing,

We can try to make sense of it together,
If you want to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lonely Hearts

Where my Brain Goes at the End of the Day

Fuck You Lucy